Patients treated by surgical specialty
Most elective surgeries in Victoria are categorised into one of 10 specialties. The data in this section covers these specialties with 15 of the most commonly performed procedures.
Tap the buttons below for specific patient data about elective surgery across Victoria. You can filter by hospital and surgical specialty area (e.g. general surgery, vascular surgery or neurosurgery).
Scroll further down further for more information about the data (measures).
About the data:
The above measures look at:
- specialty area patients treated
- specialty area elective surgery wait times.
About patients treated
The number of patients admitted for elective surgery at major metropolitan, larger regional and rural hospitals across Victoria.
About wait time
Waiting time is the period between the date the patient was listed for the elective surgery procedure and the date they were admitted to hospital for surgery (excluding not-ready-for-surgery days).
The median waiting time is the time within which half of all elective surgery patients are admitted for surgery.
Data is also included for the proportion of patients who have been waiting for an elective surgery procedure for longer than the recommended time (365 days).
- Data source: Elective Surgery Information System (ESIS). Data extracted on 20 April 2022
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and will be finalised in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised
- Ballarat Health Services, Edenhope and District Memorial Hospital, Stawell Regional Health, and Wimmera Health Care Group voluntarily amalgamated on 1 Nov 2021 into Grampians Health. These former entities are now presented as Grampians Health – Ballarat Health Services, Grampians Health – Edenhope and District Memorial Hospital, Grampians Health – Stawell Regional Health, and Grampians Health – Wimmera Health Care Group
- * No results are available.