Patients treated by urgency category (1,2,3)
When a patient in Victoria is assessed by a surgeon as requiring elective surgery, they are categorised as urgent (Category 1: treatment within 30 days), semi-urgent (Category 2: treatment within 90 days) or non-urgent (Category 3: treatment within 12 months). They are then placed on a hospital-based wait list.
Tap the buttons below for specific data about elective surgery patients treated by urgency category. You can filter by hospital and urgency category.
Scroll further down for more information about the data (measures).
About the data:
The above measures look at:
- surgery within recommended time
- overdue surgery outside of recommended time.
About waiting time
Waiting time is the period between the date the patient was listed for the elective surgery procedure and the date they were admitted to hospital for surgery (excluding not-ready-for-surgery days).
The median waiting time is the time within which half of all elective surgery patients are admitted for surgery.
About surgery within and outside of recommended time
Statewide targets for percentage of patients treated within recommended time have not been finalised for FY 2021/22 at the date of publication for the following elective surgery urgency categories:
- All categories
- Category 1 (Urgent)
Patients who are not ready for elective surgery and those waiting for a non-surgical procedure are excluded.
A ready-for-surgery patient is classified as overdue for elective surgery if the number of days they waited exceeded the recommended time.
- Data source: Elective Surgery Information System (ESIS). Data extracted on 20 April 2022
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and will be finalised in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised
- Ballarat Health Services, Edenhope and District Memorial Hospital, Stawell Regional Health, and Wimmera Health Care Group voluntarily amalgamated on 1 Nov 2021 into Grampians Health. These former entities are now presented as Grampians Health – Ballarat Health Services, Grampians Health – Edenhope and District Memorial Hospital, Grampians Health – Stawell Regional Health, and Grampians Health – Wimmera Health Care Group
- * No results are available.