Positive safety culture
A Continuously improving safety in Victorian health services relies on staff sharing a positive commitment toward harm prevention and incident management.
Every year, staff in Victorian health services are surveyed about the safety culture of their workplace in the People Matter Survey (PMS).
Tap the button below for data about positive responses to the eight PMS safety culture questions. You can filter by health service.
Scroll further down for more information about the data.
About the data
Safety culture questions - People Matter Survey
The survey asks health service staff how strongly they agree or disagree with the following eight statements:
- suggestions about patient safety concerns are acted upon when expressed to their manager
- patient care errors are handled appropriately in the area
- management is driving the organisation to be safety-centered
- they are encouraged by their colleagues to report safety concerns
- their organisation adequately supervises trainees
- that their organisation does a good job of training new and existing staff
- they would recommend their friend or relative to be treated as a patient at their organisation.
Data are shown for the proportion of staff who either agreed or strongly agreed with each of the eight questions. The statewide target is 80%.
The 2020 People Matter Survey was delayed by the Victorian Public Sector Commission (VPSC) due to the coronavirus (COVID 19) pandemic. In response to increased workloads for healthcare workers during the pandemic, the 2020 survey was modified and made optional for health services to participate in. Care needs to be taken when assessing results and comparing to prior periods.
- Data source: People Matter Healthcare Worker Survey. Data extracted 18 January 2021
- Data are reported annually in the July-September quarter
- Hepburn Health and Kyneton District Health amalgamated on 1 December 2019 to form Central Highlands Rural Health
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and will be finalised in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised
- * No results are available.