Patients waiting for treatment
When a patient in Victoria is assessed by a surgeon as requiring elective surgery, they are categorised as urgent (Category 1: treatment within 30 days), semi-urgent (Category 2: treatment within 90 days) or non-urgent (Category 3: treatment within 12 months). They are then placed on a hospital-based wait list.
Tap the buttons below for specific data about patients who are on the wait list and are ready for elective surgery (e.g. those who have completed outpatient assessments, pre-operative imaging, blood collection). You can filter by hospital and urgency category.
Scroll further down further for more information about the data (measures).
About the data:
The above measures look at:
- elective surgery waiting lists
- overdue wait time.
About the elective surgery waiting list
The above measures show the total number of patients on the waiting list at the end of the reporting period. Data is also shown for the number of patients whose waiting period is less than the recommended time.
Patients who are 'not ready for surgery' are excluded.
About average overdue wait time
The average number of days that a patient is overdue for elective surgery. A ready-for-surgery patient is classified as overdue if the number of days they waited exceeded the clinically recommended time.
- Data source: Elective Surgery Information System (ESIS). Data extracted on 17 April 2023
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and may change from quarter to quarter, final results will be available in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised
- On February 23, 2023, Monash Health opened the Victorian Heart Hospital and on February 6, 2023, assumed management of Sandringham Hospital (formerly Women's at Sandringham) now operating as Monash Health at Sandringham. Complete hospital-level data will be available in future reports. Results for both hospitals are included in Monash Health and statewide results. Care needs to be taken when assessing results and comparing them to prior periods
- * No results are available.