Patients treated by urgency category
Hospital emergency departments provide urgent care for seriously ill and injured Victorians. When a patient arrives at an emergency department, they are 'triaged' (assessed) for urgency and categorised on a scale from Triage Category 1 (requires resuscitation – immediate treatment) to Triage Category 5 (non-urgent – treatment within 2 hours).
Tap the buttons below for specific data about emergency department patients. You can search by urgency category, date and hospital.
Scroll further down for more information about the data (measures).
About the data
The above measures look at:
- emergency department presentations
- emergency department patients treated
- patients treated within recommended time
- percentage of patients treated within recommended time.
About emergency department presentations
The number of patients who arrived at an emergency department for care. Excludes those who were deceased upon arrival.
About emergency department patients treated
The number of patients who were treated in emergency departments according to triage category.
- Triage category 1 (need for resuscitation): requires treatment immediately
- Triage category 2 (emergency): requires treatment within 10 minutes
- Triage category 3 (urgent): requires treatment within 30 minutes
- Triage category 4 (semi-urgent): requires treatment within 1 hour
- Triage category 5 (non-urgent): requires treatment within 2 hours.
Data is also shown for patients who were treated within the recommended times. Statewide targets for the top four urgency categories are:
- Triage category 1: 100% of patients treated immediately
Excludes those who left at their own risk without treatment, those who left after clinical advice, or those who were deceased on arrival.
- Data source: Victorian Emergency Minimum Dataset (VEMD). Data extracted 16 January 2020.
- Statewide totals exclude Albury Hospital
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and will be finalised in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised.
- * No results are available.