Discharge experience index
The Victorian Healthcare Experience Survey (VHES) asks patients about their experiences during their stay at a Victorian public health service. As part of the survey, patients are asked questions about their experience of being discharged from a health service.
The discharge experience index is the average result for very positive responses to four of the discharge questions. You can search by health service and date.
Scroll down further for more information about the data.
About the data
About discharge experience
As part of the survey, patients are asked four questions about their discharge experience:
- Before you left hospital, did the doctors and nurses give you sufficient information about managing your health and care at home?
- Did hospital staff take your family or home situation into account when planning your discharge?
- Thinking about when you left hospital, were adequate arrangements made by the hospital for any services you needed (e.g. transport, meals, mobility aids)?
- If follow up with your General Practitioner (GP) was required, was he or she given all the necessary information about the treatment or advice that you received while in hospital?
The discharge experience index is the average result for very positive responses to these questions. A 'very positive' response is when the patient chose the best response.
The statewide target for discharge experience index is 75%.
- Data source: Victorian Healthcare Experience Survey: Adult Inpatient. Data extracted 16 January 2020.
- Royal Children’s Hospital results are from the Victorian Healthcare Experience Survey: Paediatric Inpatient
- From 2018–19 Q1, results are not shown when there were fewer than 30 survey responses for a health service. Prior to this period, the minimum survey response requirement for reporting was 42
- Numurkah District Health Service, Cobram District Health and Nathalia District Hospital amalgamated on 1 July 2019 to form NCN Health
- Otway Health and Lorne Community Hospital amalgamated on 1 July 2019 to form Great Ocean Road Health
- Results are lagged by one quarter
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and will be finalised in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised.
- * No results are available
- NP - Results not published.