Infection prevention and control
Victorian health services are dedicated to delivering safe, efficient and effective healthcare to the community. There are prevention and control programs implemented to help protect patients and healthcare workers from infections.
Tap the buttons below for specific data about infection prevention and control in Victorian health services, including information on hand hygiene compliance. You can filter by health service.
Scroll further down for more information about the data (measures).
About the data
The above measures look at:
- healthcare workers immunised for influenza (flu)
- hand hygiene compliance achieved.
About percentage of healthcare workers immunised for influenza (flu)
High rates of immunisation among health practitioners is essential in reducing the risk of influenza transmission in health services.
Data cover permanent, temporary and casual employees who worked one or more shifts at a Victorian public health service/hospital during the annual influenza vaccination campaign.
The statewide target is 90% compliance.
Data are reported annually in the July-September quarter.
About percentage of hand hygiene compliance achieved
Victorian health providers report their compliance with the '5 Moments of Hand Hygiene' Program to Hand Hygiene Australia three times each year.
Hand hygiene is an important way of preventing infection - protecting both patients and healthcare workers.
The statewide target is 83% compliance.
No results are available for the July-September quarter.
- Data source: Victorian Hospital Acquired Infection Surveillance System (VICNISS). Data extracted 16 October 2020
- Numurkah District Health Service, Cobram District Health and Nathalia District Hospital amalgamated on 1 July 2019 to form NCN Health
- Otway Health and Lorne Community Hospital amalgamated on 1 July 2019 to form Great Ocean Road Health
- Hepburn Health and Kyneton District Health amalgamated on 1 December 2019 to form Central Highlands Rural Health
- No hand hygiene results are available for reporting this quarter
- Results are lagged by one quarter
- Results for the current financial year are preliminary and will be finalised in November. Results from the previous financial year have been finalised
- No data indicates no results are available
- NP - Results not published
- Targets for FY 2020-21 were not approved at the time of reporting for Q1 (July – September 2020) results.