Discharge experience index
The Victorian Healthcare Experience Survey (VHES) asks patients about their experiences during their stay at a Victorian public health service. As part of the survey, patients are asked questions about their experience of being discharged from a health service.
The discharge experience index is the average result for very positive responses to four of the discharge questions. You can filter by health service.
Scroll down further for more information about the data.
About the data
About discharge experience
As part of the survey, patients are asked three questions about their discharge experience:
- Before you left hospital, did staff give you or to someone close to you useful information about managing your health and care at home?
- Did hospital staff take your family, home or health situation into account when planning your return to home?
- Were you involved, as much as you wanted to be, in decisions about leaving hospital?
The discharge experience index is the average result for very positive responses to these questions. A 'very positive' response is when the patient chose the most positive response option available.
- Data source: Victorian Healthcare Experience Survey: Adult Inpatient. Data extracted on 16 January 2023
- As there was a pause in data collection between 2019–20, and changes to the collection methodology and survey instruments, two quarters of data are currently available for comparison.
- From 2021-22 Q1, results are not shown when there were fewer than 10 survey responses for a health service
- Results are lagged by one quarter
- Western Health and Djerriwarrh Health Services voluntarily amalgamated on 1 July 2021. Results from Jul-Sep 2021 for Western Health includes the former Djerriwarrh Health Services
- Ballarat Health Services, Edenhope and District Memorial Hospital, Stawell Regional Health, and Wimmera Health Care Group voluntarily amalgamated on 1 November 2021 into Grampians Health. These former entities are now presented as Grampians Health – Ballarat Health Services, Grampians Health – Edenhope and District Memorial Hospital, Grampians Health – Stawell Regional Health, and Grampians Health – Wimmera Health Care Group
- Castlemaine Health and Maldon Hospital voluntarily amalgamated on 1 March 2022 into Dhelkaya Health. Their former entities are now presented as Dhelkaya Health – Castlemaine and Dhelkaya Health – Maldon
- * Results not available at time of reporting. Data will be updated with next quarterly release
- NP - Results not published.